I was craving these donuts badly ( yes I think about food 24X7 ). Custard donuts remind me of London, I love to go to nearby Tesco in the morning and grab these. Brits love their custard, rather are quite obsessed with it. And so are Sirsas especially Sat ( my mother😝). And then come my best friends Harika & Pabbi ( her name is Akanksha, Pabbi being her surname. Been saying this for more than a decade) our trio is infamous for being foodies & gorging down food in record time. They love donuts! I had my 1st donut with them when I was in school. So I thought to send them some too. Hence making these is a good idea through and through.
Filled donuts are my fav!!! Crispy fried donuts filled with cold custard or Nutella. This recipe will make more than a dozen. The recipe I used said not to re roll the dough left over as it doesn’t come together. But I re rolled the dough, until I cut out donuts out of all of it. And they came out equally good. So go make these, don’t waste any dough. Very important to try working towards zero wastage in such conditions.
I hope you enjoy eating these pillowy soft & crispy donuts like I did.
Ingredients for the donuts:
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 Tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of warm milk
- 2 1/4 Tsp of active dry yeast
- 1/4 Cup of unsalted butter
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tsp of vanilla extract or 3 Tsp of vanilla essence
- Granulated Sugar
- Canola/vegetable oil to fry
Ingredients for Custard:
- 1 Cup of full fat milk
- 2 1/2 Tbsp of all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp of granulated sugar
- 1 Egg yolk
- 2 Tsp vanilla extract/essence
- Small pinch of salt
Instructions to make Donuts:
- Sprinkle the yeast and one teaspoon of sugar over the milk, give it a stir and set aside to activate. It’ll be ready when it has a foam on top.
- Add the flour, sugar, salt & vanilla in a bowl. To that add the milk, eggs & butter. Mix it using a hand mixture with dough attachment or knead it with your hands until it all comes together.
- Make one big ball of the kneaded dough and place it in a bowl. Cover it with a towel & let it rest for 45 mins or till it doubles in size.
- Roll out the dough on a surface sprinkled with flour, to 1/2 inch thickness. And cut out donuts using cookie cutter. Place these on a tray sprinkled with flour. Cut out all the dough and line the donuts on the tray.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan ( fill it up half way ). Fry the donuts until golden brown on both sides.
- Then fill them up with custard or Nutella.
Instructions to make Custard:
- Add all your custard ingredients in a large saucepan with the heat turned off. Whisk them all together.
- Place your custard over medium heat & cook it. Keep stirring/whisking the entire time it cooks.
- Strain the custard through a sieve into a bowl. Cover it with cling wrap ( make sure the cling wrap is touching the custard ) and put it in the fridge. Remove to fill when donuts are fried & custard is chilled.
Filling in the donuts:
- Take a piping bag ( or a ziploc bag if you don’t have a piping bag )
- Take your piping bag & fit it onto a tall glass. Folding the top of the bag down around the outside of your glass.
- Then fill up your custard/ Nutella into the bag . If you’re using a piping bag use a star tip.
- If you’re using ziploc bag, fill it with little custard/ Nutella at a time. And don’t cut too big a hole.
- Take a butter knife & create a slit/hole in the donut. Insert the tip of the bag into it and squeeze the custard/Nutella into the donut till it fills up.